Automatically dispense NRMC supplies (for non-monitored items) that have been queued to the Quick Dispense Queue. This function allows you to start the Quick Dispense process and Minfos will automatically run through dispensing items, meaning you do not need to click through the Dispense Form. Any supplies that have an ‘exception’ will not be dispensed and will be returned to the Quick Dispense Queue for you to review and correct, or Quick Dispense manually (refer to Dispense a script via Quick Dispense). Once the item has been dispensed follow your normal process to supply and verify the dispensing.
An Auto Dispense exception is a warning or error message that you would see if you dispensed the script via the dispense form e.g. a PDL warning or that the medication has ceased. These scripts are errored out of Auto Dispense as they require pharmacist intervention. Some dispense prompts, e.g. the Preferred Supplier and Recommended prompts, have been set to be ignored by Auto Dispense and will not display as an AD error.
After the scripts have been auto dispensed, or manually quick dispensed the scripts will be charged to the customers accounts, follow the pre-requisites to ensure you are set up correctly.
You can also configure Minfos to print dispense labels for all items that are Auto Dispensed, those that are flagged as non-Packed (note this is managed by your packing software) or not print a label automatically.
Note: You cannot use the Dispense module on the workstation once the Auto Dispense process begins. The Auto Dispense process cannot be cancelled once it starts. Use the filters on the Quick Dispense Queue window to manage the number of scripts you Auto Dispense at a time.
Pre-requisites for Auto Dispense:
- Ensure your patients have an account, click here to learn more, or link them to an account
- Set up your Nursing Home to Auto Invoice, click here to learn more
- Add patients to a Nursing Home, click here to learn how
To Auto Dispense:
From the Dispense Form, once the NRMC items have been queued:
1. Click the Quick Dispense icon.
The Quick Dispense Queue window is displayed.
2. Use the filters to identify the items you want to automatically dispense. Refer to Auto Dispense: Quick Dispense Queue Overview for further information.
3. Click Auto Dispense.
The Auto Dispense window is displayed.
4. Enter a Pharmacist in the Auto Dispense window.
Note: Like any dispensing, a Pharmacist is required to dispense via Auto Dispense.
- This pharmacist can be associated to the script by your packing software provider as part of the queuing process or by entering a Pharmacist in the Auto Dispense window
- If a pharmacist was provided by your packing software Minfos will dispense the NRMC supply under this pharmacist
- If no pharmacist was provided by your packing software but a pharmacist was entered on the Auto Dispense window, Minfos will dispense the NRMC supply under this pharmacist
- If no pharmacist was provided by your packing software or entered in the Auto Dispense window, then these NRMCs will not be auto dispensed. They will be requeued in Quick Dispense Queue with an AD Error
5. Click OK to start the Auto Dispense process.
6. Minfos will then automatically dispense the eligible items using the details from the previous time the NRMC supply was dispensed, as these are all repeat supplies from an NRMC.
Note: During the Auto Dispense process, Minfos will ignore the Preferred Supplier and Recommended prompts. Ensure you dispense the correct brand, when dispensing the first supply from the chart.
7. If an exception occurs during the dispensing process e.g. the chart has expired, or the drug is a monitored medication these items will be requeued in the Quick Dispense Queue with the exception displayed in the AD Error column.
Once Auto Dispense has completed:
8. Click the Quick Dispense icon.
The Quick Dispense Queue window is displayed.
9. If required, use the filters to review the items you attempted to Auto Dispense. Refer to the AD Error column to see why a supply could not be automatically dispensed. Refer to Auto Dispense Errors for detailed information..
Note: Items with the Ineligible for Auto Dispense AD Error will need to be dispensed via the Quick Dispense workflow. Refer to Dispense a script via Quick Dispense.
10. You can manually dispense these items via the Quick Dispense process or correct the error and attempt to Auto Dispense them again.
a. If you attempt to Auto Dispense a script, where the error has not been corrected or the dispensing has multiple errors, Minfos will reprocess the request and return it to the Quick Dispense Queue with the exception.
11. Repeat steps, until all scripts have been dispensed.