Scan check can take place at any time after a prescription has been saved and processed. It can be performed from either the Script Options menu at the end of dispensing or from the Pharmacist Check screen accessible from the Dispense Form, which can be opened at any time by clicking Rx Check F11.
This article covers:
- Scan Check Icons
- Scan Check a Prescription
- Change customers in the Pharmacist Check screen
- Edit a correctly scan checked prescription
- Scan check multipack prescriptions
- Scan check previously successfully checked prescriptions
- To scan check an item dispensed via Quick Dispense:
- Scan check chemotherapy prescriptions
- Owing Scripts
- Close the Pharmacist Check screen
Scan Check Icons
The scan check icons display the scan check status of the prescription. These are explained in the following table:
Script was correctly scan checked.
Script was correctly scan checked after the script had been sold.
Not all packs for a multipack have been scan checked.
Not all packs for a multipack have been scan checked, and the script has been sold.
The script has not been scan checked. Until a scan check is attempted this is the default status of most scripts.
Script was incorrectly scan checked.
Scripts that are charged to Pill Box or Third Party packing are exempt from scan checking. These scripts will not count towards your reported scan check scanning rates.
To view the meaning of the status of an icon refer to the Minfos Legend, by right clicking the mouse on the Pharmacist Check screen.
The scan check status of a script is displayed against the item in multiple screens across the Dispense module, including:
- On the Dispense Form, when a patient is selected
- The Script Enquiry screen
- The Edit Claim window
Scan Check a Prescription
1. Open the Pharmacist Check screen. If the Pharmacist Check screen is opened from the:
- Script Options screen the dispense label that was scanned to populate the screen is highlighted by default
- Dispense Form (Rx Check F11), scan the barcode on the dispense label to populate the screen. The scanned item will be highlighted
- Dispense menu, C. Scan check, scan the barcode on the dispense label to populate the screen. The scanned item will be highlighted
2. Scan the barcode on the product associated with the scanned dispense label.
3. If the scanned product correctly matches the dispensed product, the drug scan check status will update and display the Script drug scan successful icon.
4. Scan the next dispense label barcode for the item that needs to be scan checked.
5. Minfos will highlight the script in the list and update the details on the screen.
6. Scan the correct product.
7. Repeat steps 1 and 3 for all items dispensed to the patient.
8. Click Close to close the Pharmacist Check screen.
- If the scanned product does not match, the Scan Check Error is displayed and, if configured, an audible alert is played. Refer to Configuring Audible Dispense alerts for further information
a. Press C to close the prompt or click Continue.
b. The item’s drug check status icon will update and display the Incorrect Scan Check icon.
To correct an incorrect scan check
a. If an incorrect product was scanned;
Scan the barcode on the dispense label again and then scan the barcode on the correct item. If the products match, the scan check status will update to successful.
b. If an incorrect product was dispensed;
Close Pharmacist Check screen. Edit the prescription, dispense the correct item and re-scan check to update the scan check status.
After a successful scan check, continue the scan check process for other prescriptions.
Change customers in the Pharmacist Check screen
If all eligible scripts for the selected patient have NOT been scan checked, and the barcode of a dispense label for a different customer is scanned, Minfos will alert you to the change of customer.
1. Press ‘C’, Enter or click Continue to update the Pharmacist Check screen to the new customer and their scripts.
2. Press ‘Esc’ or click Cancel to return to the Pharmacist Check screen with the current customer still selected.
Note: The prompt will not display if all eligible scripts have been scanned checked.
Edit a correctly scan checked prescription
If your edit to a script requires a new dispense label to be printed you will need to perform the scan check process again, even if the script was correctly checked previously. This is to ensure the new label has been attached to the correct product.
In Script Editing mode, after saving and processing a previously correctly scan checked prescription:
The Script Print window is displayed.
1. If you would like to print the details, click Yes.
The scan check status will update to ‘Not Scanned’. The label and repeat (if applicable) will print.
2. Click Rx Check f11 and re-scan check the prescription.
3. If a new label and repeat are not required to be printed, press ‘N’.
The scan check status will not change.
Scan check multipack prescriptions
Minfos will prompt the pharmacist to scan each pack for multipack prescriptions.
From the Pharmacist Check screen:
1. Scan the barcode on the dispense label in the Pharmacist Check screen.
The Multipack script window is displayed.
2. Scan the barcode on the drug packaging. As you scan each product Minfos will count and display the number of packs that have been successfully scanned of the total number that have been dispensed. Leave the Multipack script window open as you scan the packs. It will count the number of packs successfully scanned of the total number being dispensed.
Successful scan check
When all packs have scanned successfully:
- The Multipack script window will automatically close, and
- The script will display the successful green scan check icon (or if the scan check took place after the script was sold)
Incorrect scan check
Where the pharmacist incorrectly scan checks a pack:
- The pack count on the Multipack script window will not increase, and
- The Scan Check Error prompt is displayed
As per the existing scan check process, the pharmacist is required to:
1. Click Continue or press [C] to continue.
2. Scan the next item. If the next pack scans correctly, the Multipack Script window will continue to count the correctly scanned packs.
Incomplete scan check
To exit the scan check before successfully scanning all packs:
1. Click Close on the Multipack script window.The Multipack Scan Check prompt is displayed.2. Click Yes to exit without scanning all packs.
- You are returned to the Pharmacist Check screen
- The script will display an orange icon for the script, indicating not all items in the multipack have been scanned
Incomplete incorrect scan check
If the pharmacist closes the Multipack Script window after an incorrect scan, the following warning is displayed:
1. Click either:
- Yes to return to the Pharmacist Check Screen. A red icon will display next to the script indicating an incorrect scan check has occurred
- No to return to the Multipack scan screen to continue the scan check
Scan check previously successfully checked prescriptions
You can re-scan check an item that is already marked as successful. The status of the last scan check performed is recorded against the prescription.
To scan check an item dispensed via Quick Dispense:
1. Scan the barcode on the dispense label for an item that has been dispensed via Quick Dispense.
Note: When an item is dispensed via Quick Dispense the drug scan check status by default, will be 'ES' - exempt from scan check.
The Scan Check – Exempt Item prompt is displayed.
2. Click Yes to continue.
Note: The script cannot return to status once ‘Yes' has been selected.
- The scan check status for the script will be updated to ‘NS’
- The Pharmacist Check Screen is updated and will display ‘Scan barcode on product’
3. Scan the barcode on the product.
- This script will now go into normal scan check workflow e.g. correct or incorrect or multi-item scan checking
- The script will now count towards the scan check report/statistics (exempted scripts do not count towards these reports)
Note: The Scan Check - Exempt Item prompt will only display once per customer, per session i.e. it will not display for the same customer if a group of exempt items are scan checked.
Refer to here for information on printing labels when dispensing from Quick Dispense.
Scan check chemotherapy prescriptions
Please contact Minfos Support to discuss scan checking chemotherapy prescriptions.
When receiving an owing script that has been previously successfully scanned checked the Script Print? prompt is displayed.1. If you need to print the label and repeat (if applicable), click Yes. This will set the Scan Check status to NS (Not Scanned) and script will need to be Scan Checked again.
2. To avoid re-setting the Scan Check status of the prescription, select No.
The Owing Script Enquiry window is re-displayed.
3. Click Cancel to close.
4. Highlight the required script from the patients history and click Special.
The Script Options menu is displayed.
5. Select the appropriate option e.g. 1. Re-Print Label, 2. Re-print Repeat or 3. Re-print Label & Repeat.
The Scan Check status of the script will remain as successfully scan checked.
Close the Pharmacist Check screen
When an attempt is made to close the screen and there are scripts displayed that have not been scan checked.
The Scan Check Warning prompt is displayed.
The prompt highlights a risk to the pharmacist that scripts may be supplied that have not been successfully scan-checked.